The process of painting the BMW M5 E39’s Style 65 wheels in factory Chrome Shadow. Everything here is #nofilter.
On the right you can see the Chrome Shadow layer but it’s too silver-ish and not enough Chrome Shadow, which prompts for re-doing all the wheels again.
Overall ~50 wheels (10x Volvo and ~40 Style 65) wheels were painted and stripped before true Chrome Shadow form was achieved. It is a very delicate process, including the method of applying proper thickness of Chrome Shadow and clear coat.
In picture shown above are 6x Style 65 wheels newly painted in Chrome Shadow and one factory original Style 65 Chrome Shadow in mint condition, for comparison.
Because of a very fine dusting showing on the inside of the spokes, these above wheels will be be stripped once more of paint and whole process re-done again.
- Top Left: Original factory Chrome Shadow
- Top middle: Sanding down silver-ish looking Chrome Shadow
- Top right: Chrome Shadow achieved but with dusting on inside of spokes
- Middle left: 6x painted wheels with dusting & 1x factory original wheel
- Middle middle: Stripping Chrome Shadow w/ sandblaster
- Middle right: Stripping Chrome Shadow w/ sandblaster
- Bottom left: Stripping Chrome Shadow w/ sandblaster
- Bottom middle: Black Chrome Shadow try-out
- Bottom right: Chrome Shadow achieved in proper form